longstay travel insurance

don’t be a tourist, be a traveller

longstay travel insurance

if you’re planning a trip abroad that lasts more than a month, whether it’s for an extended break in the sun or to enjoy some time exploring off the beaten track, then a longstay travel insurance policy may be the right type of cover for you.

longstay travel insurance policies are ideal for students, backpackers, those taking a gap year or on a sabbatical, those wanting to take part in voluntary or charity work abroad, and those who just want to escape for an extended well-earned break. with cover ranging from 1 month up to 18 months (depending on your age and destination of choice), we offer a variety of policies to suit any prolonged trip away.

what cover do albert & eddie longstay policies offer?

longstay policies are different from standard travel insurance policies as they’re specifically designed for extended stays abroad. they often include more unique benefits which aren’t always included in your everyday travel policy. 

all longstay travel insurance policies at albert & eddie include:

  • cover for up to 18 months (this may differ depending on the policy you choose, your age and the destination you’re travelling to)
  • the choice to return home once or twice during your trip, for up to 21 days a time
  • up to £10 million in case of a medical emergency
  • cancellation cover on all policies (giving you extra peace of mind)
  • 24/7 access to an assistance team in the case of a medical emergency
  • over 100 sports and activities covered as standard
  • cover for UK, European and worldwide trips, as long as you are not travelling against the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office’s travel advice
  • plus, a wide range of extra add-ons that let you personalise your policy even further

frequently asked questions

can I buy a longstay travel insurance policy if I have a medical condition?

yes – in most cases! having a medical condition shouldn’t stop you from going on an extended trip. and we can confidently say that the specialist medical travel insurance providers on albert & eddie will consider cover for most medical conditions, where possible. plus, even if some of the providers on our panel aren’t able to cover your trip for the full duration as a result of any conditions, they’ll do their very best to accommodate your needs by possibly suggesting a different destination or a slightly shorter break that they can cover.

all we ask is that you declare any medical conditions you have when taking out a quote. it’s really simple to do. just answer our short set of medical questions during the quote process and this will help us to determine the most appropriate policy for you and your trip. if you have a complex condition, or we need some more information about your health, we may ask for you to give us a call to chat through your answers instead.

it’s super important that you tell us about any (and all) medical conditions when taking out a longstay policy. the reason being, that if you were to fall ill or submit a claim related to an undisclosed medical condition, you may not be covered later down the line.

do I need proof of my return to buy a longstay travel insurance policy?

yes, you’ll need to be able to provide proof that you are planning to return to the UK after you’ve finished your trip. the reason being, the longstay policies available through albert & eddie are not designed to cover emigration and so we need to know that you plan on coming back to the UK once you’ve finished your trip.

we know that most people buying a longstay policy may not have a return flight booked, which is totally fine. all we need is written evidence that you intend on coming home and this can be in the form of any of the below, as a few examples:

  • confirmation of a college or university placement
  • contract of the employment commencement date
  • confirmation of a rental agreement
  • consultant appointments in the UK
  • a copy of logbook confirming ownership of the vehicle, with proof of current tax.
  • court summons or appearances
  • a copy of a mortgage agreement
  • a copy of your current home or contents insurance
  • any future travel plans (flight bookings) leaving and returning to the UK

when does cover start for a longstay travel insurance policy?

longstay travel insurance policies often start as soon as you buy the policy. this means that, provided your policy includes cancellation cover, you’ll be protected from the day you take out cover and will be able to submit a claim should you no longer be able to go on your trip – as long as the reason you need to cancel is included in your policy.

can you return home during your trip with a longstay travel insurance policy?

yes, you can return home for a fixed number of times with a longstay travel insurance policy (usually once or twice for around 21 days a time, but this will vary depending on the policy you buy and how long you’re out of the country for). this policy benefit is particularly useful if you become homesick during your travels or want to come home to spend time with loved ones over a festive period.

can I extend my longstay travel insurance while I am away?

most of the policies available through albert & eddie will allow you to extend your longstay travel insurance policy, provided they cover up to 18-months in duration and you have not been out of the country for longer than this amount of time.

for example, if your policy allows cover for 18-months of travel, and you’d only been abroad for 9 months, it’s possible that your provider may be able to extend your travel insurance protection for the remaining 9 months, based on your individual circumstances and travel needs. it’s definitely worth an ask, if this is something you’d like to consider.

am I covered to work abroad during my longstay trip?

it’s possible that a longstay travel insurance policy will cover you to work abroad during your time abroad. however, this will depend on the work that you plan on doing while abroad. for example, hospitality work such as bar or restaurant work would most likely be covered as standard, but more manual work may not be included in a policy.

the general rule across the industry when insuring work abroad as part of a longstay travel insurance policy is that any work involving lifting or carrying items over 25Kg, working at a higher level than two storeys, or any form of work underground would not generally be covered. that being said, it’s worth checking any specific limitations within your chosen policy before you buy.

are sports and activities covered on longstay travel insurance policies?

yes. most of the travel insurance policies on offer on albert & eddie include a basic amount of cover for standard sports and activities (you’ll find more details on what sports and activities are covered as standard in your travel insurance providers policy wordings).

however, if you plan to get involved in more adventurous activities during your travels, then you’ll probably need a policy extension to make sure you have the right cover in place.

which destinations are covered by longstay travel insurance?

you can travel to most destinations on a longstay policy, provided that the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office does not advise against visiting your chosen country.

simply make sure you let us know which destinations you plan on visiting when taking out a quote and we’ll be able to point you in the right direction of policies that will cover your trip destination.

does longstay travel insurance cover Covid-19?

many of the longstay travel insurance policies on albert & eddie provide a basic level of protection against Covid-19. for example, emergency medical expenses should you fall ill with Covid-19 while abroad and need medical attention.

however, most of the policies available offer the option to enhance your protection against Covid-19 with a policy extension. it’s worth having a look at what the Covid-19 policy extension covers, if this is something you’d be interested in buying.